My Labour Story

I would like to start off by saying that all the preparation and reading and google searches could not prepare me for this moment. Labour and giving birth is something so special and very traumatising at the same time.

For the past two weeks since I reached 37 weeks and I have been looking out for the signs of labour waiting for the big movie moment of my water breaking and a gush of water running down my legs. Thankfully this is not how it happened for me.

My water did break but it was more like a trickle, I actually thought that I had wet myself so I did not think much of it and just changed my clothes and went out for a walk with my partner as planned. Half way through my walk I felt the trickle again and this time it was a bit more so we decided to return home as soon as possible so I could get cleaned up again and change my clothes for the second time.

Once changed again I decided to call my mum just to see what she thinks and as soon as I explained what had happened she advised me to call the Maternity Ward at the hospital. I called the hospital and they advised me to keep an eye on the water and to see what happens.

At around midnight we called the Maternity ward at the hospital and they asked me to come in to be seen. When we arrived at the hospital I was feeling absolutely fine apart from the increase in water that was now leaking (sorry T.M.I) the Midwife checked me and advised my partner, mother and I that I was 2cm dilated and advised me to come back.

I was very surprised by this because I was not feeling any pain at all so how could I be 2cm dilated already. Well off we went back home in a Taxi and all I could think about was getting home and going to bed.

Sadly, I never got to sleep when I got home because as soon as I got in I started feeling the contractions they felt like a really bad period pain in my back and I took some pain killers they did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain. From that point onwards the pain got worse and worse in my back I really cannot explain it but it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and there is no way of relieving it.

After a few hours of trying to breathe through the pain and walk through it I could not take it anymore and asked my partner and my mother if they could call the hospital and advise them that I needed to come in at this point I was asking to have some strong painkillers as I could not take the pain anymore.

We called for the Taxi to take us to the hospital and were back in the hospital and this time when I was checked I was 8cm dilated and taken up to the Labour ward. So many thoughts were running through my mind at this time I just wanted the pain to be over with and could not wait to meet my baby.

Once in the labour ward it all seemed to go so fast one minute the nurse was giving me my gas and air to help with the pain the next minute she was telling me that she could see the baby’s head and that I needed to push just one more push and I get to meet my baby.

I could also hear my mum and my partner encouraging me to push and they kept saying that they could see the baby’s head and this is all the encouragement I needed. I gave one push and out came my baby he just gave one big yelp and then that was it screaming no crying he was just so quiet.

I will never ever forget for as long as I live the moment that the midwife placed my baby on my chest and I held him I just fell in love with him even more. All the pain I experienced during the labour and the pregnancy was all worth it and I would do it all again.

I know that I will learn a lot from him as a new mum and I will make some mistakes but I know that this will be a fun, scary and loving adventure for my partner and I.

Mummy Bee


Hello Welcome to my Blog. I decided to write a blog to share my experience and life as a new mum and more. I hope you enjoy reading it. Mummy Bee